Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tom’s Loft Tavern, Home of the best Wings in Vermont…maybe the world.

In the past few years I have driven by Tom’s Loft Tavern on my way to Okemo, but it wasn’t until this last winter that I mustered up the courage to go inside and give this somewhat dilapidated looking establishment a try. And let me tell you, I could not be more disappointed about the time I wasted avoiding this spot. A large sign on the outside of the barn-like building states “Home of Lousy Food, Warm Beer and Grumpy Owner.” I can’t say that I’ve met the owner, but the beer is cold and plentiful, and the wings are hands down the best wings I’ve ever had in my life.
Upon entry your eyes scan the walls that are filled with memorabilia of local Vermont brews (they serve 17 different Vermont beers) and the wood interior gives off a warm and rustic, no frills, ski-bum vibe. The space is tight and the bar takes up a fair portion of the room, but this all provides an enjoyable experience after a frigid day on the mountain. The ambiance in the loft is low key, making it a perfect place to wind down after a long day of skiing, and the bar is often crowded with both parents and singles as well as ski-patrollers and instructors looking for a venue far from that of the child-filled noisy main lodge.
This past week I decided to share this jewel with two friends and 30 wings later, it was clear they had thoroughly enjoyed the experience. For $7.95 you can order ten HUGE wings smothered in the sauce of your choice. If you’re a follower of our blog, then you’ll know that both of us are pretty good eaters, however, I’m proud if I can make it through 7 of these bad boys. This time we went with three different flavors: Buffalo, Teriyaki and BBQ. It is an understatement to say that these wings are “finger-lickin’ good”. The meat strips right off of the bone with each bite, and the moderately fried exterior adds a perfect crunch. Each large-sized wing is smothered in the sauce of your choosing, creating the best combination of substance and flavor. Sometimes I look at the menu just to see if I could be tempted to try one of the other bar-foods, but each time I can’t seem to pull myself away from my wing obsession. My favorite variation is probably their Jamaican-Jerk that gives the wings a spicy and smoky flavor. But if you really want a good combination, ask the waitress to combine the teriyaki and buffalo sauces and find yourself in wing bliss…and maybe later, cardiac arrest.
While I have never tried other items on the Loft’s menu, the nachos, which are made on a pizza tray, are huge and the burgers are supposedly the best in Ludlow. With a an illustrious beer list and bar menu, the Loft wins my vote (and the Boston Globe’s vote) for top ten après ski bars in New England. The Loft is located on Okemo Access Road, right at the base of the mountain between the upper two parking lot, so it’s the perfect place to stop on your way back to Midd. Practice self-restraint and give the wings some time to cool, otherwise you’ll risk burning the tips of your fingers (won’t say this happened to us though…).
Teriyaki Wings

Buffalo Wings
BBQ Wings





No comments:

Post a Comment